Wednesday, January 24, 2007

NPR...No Bitter Aftertaste


I was disturbed to overhear two teachers discussing a medical seminar in Cleveland, where a doctor induced a fatal stroke in a dog for the sole purpose of a sales pitch. How cruel and soulless can humans continue to be in this world? I get home and ask my husband if he had heard about this atrocity. His usual reply to my references to the news was "well yeah, if you actually read the newspaper, you would have known this for a while like the rest of the world!"

My lack of interest in the daily newspaper has been a consistent subject of irritation for my husband. I assume he must liken my naiveté about current and local events to a barefoot and pregnant county bumpkin from Appalachia. I prefer to think of it as a blissful ignorance, of which I am content.

Now if the local newspaper was actually positive and uplifting, with a hint of glamour and glitz to boot, then I would say "sign me up!" Thus far, reading the newspaper moves me to vigilantisms of the most extreme: avenging the innocent animal and human victims of murder, rape, torture, and abuse via blow torches and straight razors. Healthy thoughts? I would have to say a big "NO" on that one.

Until a pill or medical procedure (which does not involve cruelty to animals) that desensitizes people to the atrocities of the world is invented, I will leave my palatable exposure to world and current events in the competent hands of NPR (National Public Radio). Ahhh, the safe haven of public radio; what more could one ask than for information and news organically grown, pureed and spoon-fed for easy digestion. Local newspapers are the IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) of information, and who wants to have to take a Tums with their news? Me thinks not!

So until the newspaper changes its sections to names like Fresh Air, All Things Considered, or Morning Edition, it's public radio for me.

No comments: